Posted on: 26 August 2014
If you are considering a commercial fencing installation, you probably have already begun to consider what materials you want your fences to be constructed from. Many times the materials that you choose, will be based upon what you need your fencing for, and you owe it to yourself and your environment to consider using composite fencing.
What Is Composite Fencing?
Bonding two or more dissimilar elements together creates a new material, which is a composite. Many times in fencing these elements are a combination of wood fibers and recycled plastic. Some companies now have created fencing materials that are constructed entirely from various recycled materials.
Composite materials are not new. Composite lumber has been on the market for years, and it has been used extensively in building decking. People have realized that the low maintenance of the materials, combined with the ability to be green, make this material a great choice for fencing.
Advantages Of Composite Fencing
Composite fencing looks like wood, but it is not. It is a material that will never have to be painted or stained, unless you just choose to do so. It can be found in several colors. These colors are added during the manufacturing process, which keeps it looking better longer.
- Composite fencing is easy to maintain. You do not have to worry about keeping it clean. A little soap in your power-washer and it will be looking good as new.
- It is a green product. It is constructed from wood chips, or sawdust, along with recycled plastics. When you use composite decking you are not destroying trees to create your fencing materials. By using recycled plastics, you are keeping these materials from filling the landfills.
- A composite decking material is a dense, strong material, but it is still much lighter than wood. Some manufacturers have boasted that their composite fencing materials will withstand hurricane force winds. Many manufacturers produce panels that will interlock which will produce even more strength than the material alone.
- Composite decking is easy to work with. It does not require any special tools to install or modify it. You can use the same tools that you would use if you were installing a solid wood fence.
- The material will not rot, and is resistant to the ravages of heat, cold, and moisture. It will resist cracking, chipping, and splintering, unlike many other products that are on the market.
Uses Of Composite Fencing
Composite fencing can be used anywhere that you would use wood, or even vinyl fencing. It is an attractive choice for any commercial or residential installation. Because it will not rot or decay, it can be used in low lying or damp areas that would not be appropriate for wood fencing.
How You Can Do Your Part
By choosing composite materials for your fencing needs, you will be using a material that is made up of plastics and wood by-products that would normally be headed to the landfill. This not only keeps these products from being placed into the ground, it gives them the ability to have a new life. When choosing your fencing company, research the manufacturer to ensure that they are using post consumer plastic versus virgin plastics.
By recycling these materials, you are saving old growth trees that will be allowed to continue to live and do their parts in nature's cycle. Because of the low maintenance required of the materials involved, you will save money on the future maintenance cost.
Composite decking materials may cost a little extra up front, but they will more than make up that extra cost by helping to protect the environment.Share